At the time of writing 4 posts were tagged with 'idents'.
You can also find a links list with plentiful useful links to help accelerate your research on these.
WHAT RESEARCH SHOULD I DO?
You needn't spend too much time on this. You can present your findings as a standard, illustrated post or as a short vodcast (I've done a vodcast on this topic, see below) - which you can then re-use later as an element for your Evaluation work.
Your research should include looking at 10 or more examples (you could split this up if working in a group), and answering these questions. DO note countertypical, unconventional examples too, especially if you intend to challenge conventions:
- How long is a typical ident? (time a range of examples and make a decision on what seems 'typical')
- Are idents usually tied to the genre?
- Do they have (non-)diegetic sound? Music?
- Animated/moving or still image?
- How is the company name handled (font, animation, positioning, editing with sound etc)
- Are they always very sophisticated, CGI-spectaculars?